PHENOME, the French plant phenomic network (FPPN)
- PHENOME will provide France with an up-to-date, versatile, high throughput infrastructure and suite of methods allowing characterisation of panels of genotypes of different species under scenarios associated with climate changes. Phenotyping has become the major limitation in programmes aimed at building genotypes that maintain / increase crop performance under climate change and reduced inputs.
The project objectives are to:
- Build or upgrade highly instrumented platforms in seven French sites able as a whole to deal with the most important crop species, biological questions and environmental stresses
- Develop hardware and software applications with technological jumps, including the development of new sensors, methods, data analysis and databases able to cope with millions of data points
- Disseminate techniques and methods towards the French phenotyping community (seed companies, technical institutes, public research groups),
- Enhance emergence of French SMEs involved in the development of phenotyping methods.
PHENOME is a “national biology and health infrastructure” of the “Investments for the future” program certified by the GIS Biotechnologies Vertes and the competitiveness poles Céréales Vallée, Qualiméditerranée, Végépolys and Vitagora